SPRT - Science in Pursuit of Religious Truth

A weblog for rational persons of religious faith. Our motto is, "The only thing keeping you from seeing 'SPiRiT' here is two i's." The overall tone of this weblog will (typically) be conservative and/or libertarian. We will address legal, social, political and economic issues, and anything else we feel like discussing.

"It's when they don't attack you that you should worry, because it means you are too insignificant to worry about."
- Malcolm Muggeridge

Name:
Location: midwestern U.S., United States

I am married. I have two sons and a daughter who was born on by birthday! I was blessed to be born into a family of women (my mother, her mother, her sisters) who are fashionable and ladylike and strong-willed and individualistic, and they were and are great role models. I don't think women have great role models anymore, and I also think style is more than clothing, so I created this blog to offer my take on the topic.

Saturday, March 05, 2005

FoxNews poll shows Americans side with Michael Schiavo

Depressing. Completely depressing. But understandable, I suppose. FoxNews has just released a poll which shows that a majority of Americans (59%) would remove Terri Schiavo's feeding tube. Even more (74%) say that they would want the feeding tube removed if they were in Terri Schiavo's position.

And this, I think, is what is driving the poll numbers - people are trying to figure out how they themselves would feel if they were completely incapacitated. And for most people, the prospect seems horrifying - to be trapped in a body that no longer functions, with a mind that no longer functions, or (worse yet, in many people's minds) with a mind that does function.

I am sympathetic. I can completely understand this perspective. I might even share it. But it doesn't negate the points that I was making earlier. First, that Michael Schiavo has abdicated whatever rights he once had to determine what is in his "wife's" best interest. He has too many conflicts of interest.

And second - and this is THE MOST IMPORTANT THING. No one - no spouse, parent, family member, friend - should have to be in the position of guessing what a loved one would want in Terri Schiavo's position.

If 74% of the American public would want nutrition and hydration removed were they in Terri's shoes, then I sure hope that that 74% of the population has a living will.

Well? Do you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home