SPRT - Science in Pursuit of Religious Truth

A weblog for rational persons of religious faith. Our motto is, "The only thing keeping you from seeing 'SPiRiT' here is two i's." The overall tone of this weblog will (typically) be conservative and/or libertarian. We will address legal, social, political and economic issues, and anything else we feel like discussing.

"It's when they don't attack you that you should worry, because it means you are too insignificant to worry about."
- Malcolm Muggeridge

Name:
Location: midwestern U.S., United States

I am married. I have two sons and a daughter who was born on by birthday! I was blessed to be born into a family of women (my mother, her mother, her sisters) who are fashionable and ladylike and strong-willed and individualistic, and they were and are great role models. I don't think women have great role models anymore, and I also think style is more than clothing, so I created this blog to offer my take on the topic.

Saturday, February 26, 2005

Wild horses could drag me into liberals' camp...

Oh, how I love it when an issue comes along that makes me jump the political fence. It doesn't happen very often, so it's great fun when it does.

I read a news story on MSNBC recently that disturbed me a great deal. Apparently, an old law that protected the American West's wild mustangs from slaughter has recently been repealed, leaving thousands of them now subject to being killed for horsemeat.

You've got to be kidding me. Is this the best we can do?

Wild mustangs aren't like grizzly bears or mountain lions, which, magnificent animals though they are, pose a danger to humans if there are too many in proximity to towns and cities. Nor are they like deer, which proliferate like mad, and are (unfortunately) rather dumb beasts with a propensity for running out into traffic.

Wild mustangs are, like bald eagles, one of the most powerful and majestic symbols of the American landscape. And now we want to slaughter nearly 10,000 of these gorgeous creatures?

For Heaven's sake, America. We decimated the buffalo population. We wiped out the carrier pigeon. We brought the bald eagle to near-extinction. Haven't we learned our lessons yet? I am all for farming and ranching, but surely it isn't necessary to slaughter our beautiful mustangs to accommodate more cows.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes we did decimate the buffalo and the bald eagle. But wild horses are just as liable to overpopulate and they are not indigenous.

Cull the herd.

8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home