SPRT - Science in Pursuit of Religious Truth

A weblog for rational persons of religious faith. Our motto is, "The only thing keeping you from seeing 'SPiRiT' here is two i's." The overall tone of this weblog will (typically) be conservative and/or libertarian. We will address legal, social, political and economic issues, and anything else we feel like discussing.

"It's when they don't attack you that you should worry, because it means you are too insignificant to worry about."
- Malcolm Muggeridge

Name:
Location: midwestern U.S., United States

I am married. I have two sons and a daughter who was born on by birthday! I was blessed to be born into a family of women (my mother, her mother, her sisters) who are fashionable and ladylike and strong-willed and individualistic, and they were and are great role models. I don't think women have great role models anymore, and I also think style is more than clothing, so I created this blog to offer my take on the topic.

Thursday, July 01, 2004

Lost a friend today ...

Well, this was a complete surprise. I have a good friend whom I have known for 18 years. We were at each other's weddings (well, receptions - she married on a Caribbean island!)

I sent her a copy of my post from June 28th ("On sex education in the public schools"), and received this e-mail from her in response:
*****************
"You cannot depend upon the schools to keep your children safe. You have to do it yourself. We all do. And it is getting to the point where school is what we have to keep them safe from. God help us."

God help YOU, ****. And God help your children if they ever realize they were BORN gay.

I saw that Oprah show (I hasten to add, it just happened to be on one day while I was ironing). In my opinion, you strongly misrepresented it.

I always knew we had differences of opinion on certain things, but this dissertation that you so desperately needed to send to "educate" the rest of us is an insult to me and, quite frankly, is infuriating.

I really could go on, but I TRY to make it a policy not to mix politics/religion and friendship. I have many friends who feel differently on issues than myself, but there is an unspoken rule that you keep these things to yourself.

I do not fill up my friends' mailboxes with my opinions (yes, they are your OPINIONS, yet spoken as fact) but am bombarded daily with those who choose to preach to me through forwarded emails and who basically use this forum as their soapbox at my expense. 99% of the time I delete them and ignore it, but this mail enraged me to my breaking point.

After going over this for two days in my head (...do I write an equally long dissertation and send it back to you? ...do I write it and send it to ALL of my family and friends in order to set my "beliefs" record straight? ...do I write it and send it to all my like-minded friends? ...do I write it just to get it out of system and then delete it? ...do I really have time for this kind of thing at ALL?), I have come to the conclusion that I have to say to myself: "I have a lot of friends; maybe it's time I chose those I keep close to my heart more carefully."

I'll end in saying that although I no longer follow a structured religion, it is for this very reason: I cannot associate myself with judgmental, all-knowing, so-called "Christians" who feel they have the right to tell myself and others how right they are and how WRONG others are.

So here are my bible quotes: "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" and "Judge not others lest ye be judged." Think about those...

Please take me off your email list."

*********
How very sad. I did answer. My answer is in the next post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home